Leukemia is cancer that affects blood-forming tissues in the body, such as bone marrow and the lymphatic system. There are many types of leukemia, but the same basic characteristics remain the same.
Leukemia generally begins in the white blood cells—these are the cells that fight infection. They are usually very orderly, growing and distributing themselves as your body requires. Leukemia prevents these white blood cells from doing their job properly by producing abnormal white blood cells. At the Beverly Hills Cancer Center we have developed an excellent plan for leukemia treatment at our private Los Angeles facility, customized to each individual.
Because the types of leukemia are so varied, the symptoms are not uniform. However, it may be identified by several signs and symptoms, including:
- Fever and chills
- Persistent lethargy and dullness
- Frequent infections
- Unintentional weight loss
- Easy bleeding and bruising
- Small red dots on the skin
- Excessive perspiration
- Pain in the bones
If you experience persistent symptoms that concern you, make an appointment to see a doctor.
Testing and Diagnosis
It is possible that doctors can find leukemia in a regular blood test before any symptoms begin. If this occurs, your doctor may recommend the following exams to determine further characteristics:
- A physical may help determine superficial signs of leukemia, such as pale skin or swelling of the lymph nodes.
- A blood test will help the doctor detect any heightened level of white blood cells, which could point to leukemia.
- A bone marrow test performed by our leukemia doctors gets right to the source, using your bone marrow to determine whether leukemia cells are present.
Specialized tests of leukemia cells by a leukemia doctor will determine the exact nature of the disease, providing insight into effective treatment options.
While leukemia types are varied, there are several basic treatment types. Most types of leukemia will warrant the use of one or more of these treatment options. Your leukemia doctor will review all options and present you with a course of action that will deliver among the best leukemia treatment Los Angeles has available.
Common leukemia treatments include:
- Biological therapy, helping your immune system fight leukemia cells
- Targeted therapy, using drugs to attack specific weaknesses of leukemia
- Radiation therapy
- Stem cell transplant, helping regrow healthy bone marrow
Contact the Beverly Hills Cancer Center today to find out more about screening and why we are proud to say that our doctors offer among the best leukemia treatment Los Angeles has available.
Schedule a Consultation Today!
Your health is important, and we welcome the opportunity to help you heal.
To schedule an appointment, please call Beverly Hills Cancer Center in Beverly Hills, California at (877) 320-5131 or use our interactive Online Appointment Request Form.